Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Documentary Roles

This is the first time that I have worked with any of the people in the team. The roles are as follows:
Katie Watts: Producer
Ben Brown: Director
Benjamin Wilson: Editor
Connor Elliott: Cinematographer (DOP)
Lucy Smith-Jones: Sound Recording and Design

For my role as producer, I decided to research what my responsibilities and duties would be. I read the book 'What a Producer Does: The art of moviemaking (not the business)' by Buck Houghton.

I identified my main duties as follows:
  • To research the subject and arrange collaborators for the film.
  • To schedule shooting times from location to location with various collaborators.
  • To complete a risk assessment in order to be covered and prepared for all eventualities.
  • To act as a production manager and co-ordinate the rest of the team.
  • To organise the booking-out and acquisition of equipment and props.
  • To create shot and sound logs that can be filled in during shooting to make the editing process easier. 
  • To ensure that all collaborators and location managers have signed release forms to cover us and the collaborators themselves legally.
  • To co-ordinate the post-production process, during which regular tutorials will be organised and regular production meetings with the whole team would occur. 
In addition I took on an extra role of DVD authoring. I felt that my role had very little creative input, so I asked Ben Wilson (editor) if I could help a little with the post-production process and author the DVD on DVD Studio Pro (a programme with which I have become adept). 

No comments:

Post a Comment